In a previous post, we explored the rise of “branches of one” — in which each user is treated as a hub that needs its own secure access to the internet, apps, and data — and how they’ve led to a new standard of cybersecurity: Secure Access Service Edge (SASE). With SASE, security and networking solutions are brought together in one converged, cloud-native architecture, providing high-performance, highly secure access wherever users work.
Today, we’ll dive deeper into the specific benefits you can expect from your SASE solution — namely, the strength of the security provided, and the simplicity in delivering and managing that protection.
SASE helps keep security simple
A key advantage of a SASE solution is its ability to help simplify the way you provide protection. By converging multiple security and networking functions in a single solution, and by delivering that solution directly from the cloud, you can secure every user, device, and location — faster, easier, and at any scale. With SASE, virtually every process is streamlined — allowing you to do more with fewer resources.
- Instantly deploy everywhere — Rather than manually installing individual cybersecurity solutions at each office, branch, and location, you can introduce all of them all at once, from the cloud to thousands of users, all in mere minutes.
- Simplify management – Increase your team’s efficiency by making it easier to integrate, orchestrate, maintain, monitor, and manage your cloud security solutions from one centralized hub. Control policies and configurations across all users. Get reports that speak to every service, app, threat, and endpoint.
- Respond to incidents faster – With data, alerts, and threat intelligence aggregated from across cybersecurity solutions and delivered from a single dashboard, it’s easier to spot cyber attacks, efficiently investigate issues, and quickly implement the right solutions.
- Easily grow and evolve – Adding new services and functions is simpler when working with a unified cloud security service, so you’re always ready to meet whatever needs you have down the road.
SASE gives you more secure security
Obviously, a core requirement of any security solution is to, well, secure – to protect users from cyber threats anywhere, from the data center to the cloud and beyond, regardless of where they are or what device they’re using. You also want this security to feel seamless to those users, with such reliably high performance that the protection is invisible. The benefits that SASE provides is driving it to become the new high-water mark for cybersecurity because, with the right solution, you can:
- Make security stronger – By bringing together the power of multiple layers of security, you can present a united front against threats, with a richer array of protection, deployed exactly how and where you want it. Plus, with a multi-function solution, you have the flexibility to choose the specific security services you use — creating a solution that meets your unique needs today, then easily integrating new elements as new needs arise. Get up and running fast with DNS-layer security, for instance, then add a cloud access security broker for further protection for cloud apps.
- Make security go farther – Because SASE solutions are delivered from the cloud, you can extend protection to wherever users work, from edge to edge — roaming, remote, and branch. Plus, visibility extends along with protection: Monitor all internet activity everywhere. Stay on top of the cloud applications your users are utilizing, identifying and blocking the apps that may be a risk.
- Make security smoother — Instead of backhauling internet traffic back to security solutions at HQ, you can now bring security directly to your users, which makes for faster, more reliable performance — and happier users.
SASE simplicity and security benefits with Cisco Umbrella
Ready to start reaping the benefits of SASE? Cisco’s Umbrella cloud security solution is a great place to get started. Simple to deploy, manage, and scale, Cisco Umbrella arms you with a complete suite of leading networking and security solutions — including SD-WAN, DNS-layer security, a cloud firewall, secure web gateway (SWG), and cloud access security broker (CASB) — that can be delivered to every user, device, and location, for powerful protection and performance anywhere and everywhere.
Bringing all of these functions together in the cloud, you can reduce the time, money, and resources it takes to introduce protection, to integrate new services, to monitor and manage policies, and to investigate and remediate incidents. It’s a major step forward in the pursuit of the simplicity and security that SASE can offer.
For more information this topic and Cisco’s unique approach to SASE, check out our ebook: Investing in a long-term security strategy: The 3 keys to achieving SASE