Retailers face new cybersecurity challenges as the industry becomes more digitized. Vendors are processing increasing amounts of customer data and attracting unwanted attention from bad actors that steal consumers’ personally identifiable information (PII).
Additional challenges include social engineering (phishing), ransomware, automation and bots, fake accounts, and web scraping. These all can have major consequences for organizations and their customers. To keep customer information and business data safeguarded, retailers must implement tough protection to keep up with the ever-changing threat landscape. Cisco Umbrella has a proven track record of winning in security for retailers.
Room & Board Home Furnishings retailer uses Umbrella
Room & Board Home Furnishings faced a huge challenge in building an integrated security stack that was strong enough to protect company data and enable business innovation. The Minneapolis-based retailer wanted customers to be able to experience the showroom from the comfort of their own homes. Room & Board envisioned that with augmented reality (AR), customers could share their living space and then the company would be able to suggest furnishings.
Cisco Umbrella has helped make this vision a reality. The interoperability of Umbrella with Room & Board’s existing security infrastructure has enhanced the company’s overall security posture. Room & Board’s internet traffic, from all locations and personnel – including branch locations, remote workers, and virtual design associates – points back to Umbrella. Now, Room & Board has the needed security to enable business while monitoring traffic, better understanding their users, and mitigating threats. Umbrella protects customer and company data, while also allowing Room & Board to scale its business and reach a broader audience.
Retailers win with Umbrella
Cisco Umbrella provides visibility and protection across the entire retail network, including in-store, corporate, and e-commerce environments. Umbrella also enables retailers to easily provide safe Wi-Fi connections to everyone accessing the network. Whether you have five or 5,000 locations, administrators can apply a single policy universally across networks to minimize malware, contain bots, and enforce acceptable-use policies throughout all regions.
Meanwhile, users can simplify security and monitor distributed networks through a centralized dashboard. This enables retailers to safeguard users, devices, and applications across an entire ecosystem.
Here are critical areas where Umbrella helps retailers win:
- Secure in-store Wi-Fi: Retailers often offer Wi-Fi access to customers, but this can create risks if not properly secured. Umbrella blocks users from accessing inappropriate content.
- E-commerce security: Retailers need to protect their customers’ personal and financial information. Umbrella mitigates data exfiltration.
- Visibility into network activity: Umbrella’s real-time network visibility enables retailers to quickly identify and respond to threats. This helps reduce data breaches and remediate incidents faster.
- Phishing attacks: Phishing leads to data breaches. Umbrella blocks access to known and net-new phishing sites, providing an added layer of security beyond email-based controls.
- Simplified security management: Umbrella’s multifunctional DNS-layer, SWG, CASB, DLP and RBI capability is delivered with a single management dashboard, simplifying deployment and security management across the network.
- Operational efficiency: Umbrella is provisioned from the cloud so administrators can change settings via the manager. No more costly site visits or contractors to deploy and keep your edge security current.
By providing security across the network, from in-store to e-commerce environments, Umbrella helps retailers to protect customer data, optimize operations, and stay ahead of evolving threats.
Learn more about how Umbrella protects retail
Check out the resources Cisco offers to empower hybrid work for retail.
Want to try Umbrella for yourself? Be sure to sign up for a free trial!